- 14-16 months
- England (90 minutes radius of Huntingdon, Potters Bar and Leeds)
- Monthly payment options
- Non-apprenticeship option available
If you are located outside the 90 minutes radius of the above centres, please contact us as we may still be able to meet your training needs.
Develop solid customer service skills
Good customer service is the back bone of any business and nowhere more so than in the field of animal care and veterinary work. Clients expect and deserve a first class service; without this they are likely to take their custom elsewhere. Clients need to have confidence that your organisation will provide their animals with the very best of care. Not only will positive experiences ensure clients return time and time again, they increase the chance of recommendations and an increased client base.
All staff play their part in, not only looking after the animals, but also the clients. Customer service training can also be very rewarding, it is always nice to finish the day feeling that you have played your part in helping someone, or made a difference, as well as contributing to the success and reputation of the business.
As a customer service apprentice, you will be employed in a client facing role gaining vital practical skills and experience, and earning a wage alongside studying your formal apprenticeship qualification.
As this apprenticeship is work-based, you may apply to start at any time of the year and will not be required to attend College for tuition. You will be allocated a Work-based Learning Assessor who will support you through your qualification via email and telephone contact and regular visits to your place of work.
Benefits to employers
- Grow your business: Affordable way to expand and develop your business
- Cost effective: Provide valuable opportunities whilst minimising recruitment and training costs
- Enhanced reputation: Maximise client experience and loyalty
- Increased productivity: Increase staff efficiency though the development of knowledge and skills
The College of Animal Welfare has a well-earned reputation for excellence; delivering quality training and education and employer support. Your apprentice will benefit from:
- Tuition, support and assessment provided in the workplace, online and via email and telephone contact
- Support and guidance from an allocated, qualified Work-based Learning Assessor
- Access to our unique Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and extensive eLibrary resources
* Any employer taking on an apprentice under 19 years of age, will receive an incentive of £1,000. £500 will be paid to you after the first three months of the apprenticeship and the remaining £500 after the first year on programme.*
Employers with less than 50 employees
If you take on an apprentice under 19 years of age (or 19-24 years who has an EHC plan or who has been in the care of their local authority), the apprentices training will be fully funded.
This apprenticeship consists of:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Customer Service
- Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths and English
- Lantra Employment Right and Responsibilities Workbook
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Customer Service
Over the course of the qualification, you will undertake both mandatory and optional units, which will allow you to tailor the qualification to the needs of both yourself and your employer. The units you undertake will be discussed with you at induction to make sure they fit your interests and job role.
- Deliver customer service
- Understand customers
- Principles of customer service
- Understand employer organisations
- Manage personal performance and development
Optional units that you can then choose from include:
- Communicate verbally with customers
- Deliver customer service to challenging customers
- Process information about customers
- Gather, analyse and interpret customer feedback
- Manage diary systems
- Develop working relationships with colleagues
You will be assessed via completion of a portfolio, pass work-based practical assessments and undertake online assessments.
You will undertake Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Maths unless exempt. These are assessed via online examinations and practical assessments.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. However, you will need to be living and working in England in a role that involves regular contact with clients, within a 90 minute radius of our Huntingdon, Potters Bar or Leeds centres, earning at least the National Minimum Wage for Apprentices. To complete this apprenticeship within 14-16 months you will need to be working for a minimum of 30 hours per week, if you are working less than 30 hours a week the length of your apprenticeship will be extended depending on your working hours.
If you have a level 4 (or above) qualification, from May 2017 you are now still able to undertake this apprenticeship if your current qualification is in an unrelated subject. If your existing qualification is in a similar subject you will not be able to undertake this apprenticeship, in which case you may wish to undertake the City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Customer Service as a standalone qualification.
Apprenticeship fees are payable by the employer. We offer two different payment options; our ‘Annual Fee Scheme’ or our ‘Pay as You Learn’ monthly payment scheme. Details on both of these payment options can be found here.
Sources of financial help if you require support during your studies can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
Please note that course fees listed below apply to courses starting before the 1 May 2017. Fees for courses starting on, or after, 1 May 2017 will be published in due course.
Intermediate Apprenticeship in Customer Service
|Age at start of course||Annual Fee Scheme (?)||Pay as You Learn Scheme (?)||Awarding Body Fees (minimum) *|
|16-18||No fees payable||No fees payable||No fees payable|
|19-23||£660 payable by employer||£47 per month payable by employer||£118 payable by employer|
|24+||£695 payable by employer||£49 per month payable by employer||£118 payable by employer|
Fees listed are current figures and may be subject to change. Course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be the result of age, employment status, previous education achievements or location for example, and are outside the control of The College of Animal Welfare.
* Awarding Body Fees are recharged at cost and may be subject to change; these are payable in full prior to the commencement of the course and are non-refundable. The costs shown are based on the minimum number of units necessary to achieve the qualification.
On completion of your apprenticeship you will have gained the confidence, practical skills and abilities to provide exceptional customer service and excel in your role. During this time, your desire to learn and increase your knowledge further may lead you to wondering what you should do next. If you are looking to study to the next level you might consider undertaking the Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Customer Service. To do so you would need to be working in a supervisory or managerial position, however if you are not currently working in such a role but are aspiring to do so, it may still be possible to undertake the advanced apprenticeship; this will be assessed on an individual basis and is something your assessor will discuss with you as you approach the end of the intermediate apprenticeship.
Alternatively you may wish to consider a related qualification such as business administration or leadership and management in order to gain further understanding of the business environment and expanding your existing skillset.
What some of our students say:
“I have enjoyed learning new skills and applying some of these to my current job”
“The tutors are very helpful and supportive and provide me with regular reviews on my progress”
“The course fits around my everyday work making this easy to complete”
“The tutors are extremely helpful and always manage to find time to provide support and answer any queries”