Awarded by City & Guilds, this customer service apprenticeship is ideal if you are looking for a qualification in customer service where the emphasis is on gaining practical experience with the knowledge to complement this.
As this programme is work-based you will not be required to come into college, instead one of our work-based learning assessors will visit you in your place of work to support and assess you at regular intervals throughout your qualification. You may also take this programme as part of an apprenticeship.
Your course materials will be provided via our online Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), meaning you can access these in your own time, at work or at home or even on the move.
The knowledge and practical experience you will accumulate through both study and employment will enable you to do your job more effectively and boost your career prospects.
- Attendance: This course is work-based, therefore you will not be required to attend college; all tuition, support and assessment will instead be provided in the workplace, online and via email and telephone contact. You will receive support and mentoring from one of the College’s work-based learning assessors, as well as your supervisor in the workplace.
- Duration: 12-14 months
- Start date: You may start this programme at any time during the year.
- Location: You must be working within a 90 minute radius of Huntingdon (Cambridgeshire), Potters Bar (London) or Leeds (West Yorkshire). If your business is located outside of this area, please contact us as we may be able to meet your training needs.
Our customer service courses are made up of both mandatory and optional units.
You will complete the following mandatory units:
- Deliver customer service
- Understand customers
- Principles of customer service
- Understand employer organisations
- Manage personal performance and development
You will then choose from a range of optional units, examples of these include:
- Communicate verbally with customers
- Deliver customer service to challenging customers
- Process information about customers
- Gather, analyse and interpret customer feedback
- Manage diary systems
- Develop working relationships with colleagues
Course assessment consists of completing a portfolio and passing work-based practical assessments.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. However, you must either be employed (or volunteering) in an organisation where you have regular contact with customers to be able to meet the customer service training and assessment demands.
We offer two different payment options; our ‘Annual Fee Scheme’ or our ‘Pay as You Learn’ monthly payment scheme. Details on both of these payment options can be found here.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
Please note that course fees listed below apply to courses starting before the 1 May 2017. Fees for courses starting on, or after, 1 May 2017 will be published in due course.
Level 2 Diploma in Customer Service
|Age at start of course||Annual Fee Scheme (?)||Pay as You Learn Scheme (?)||Awarding Body Fees (minimum) *|
|16-18||£860||£69 per month||£118|
|19+||£915||£72 per month||£118|
|Overseas||Not available||Not available||Not available|
* Awarding Body Fees are recharged at cost and may be subject to change. The costs shown above are based on the minimum number of units necessary to achieve the qualification.
These are current figures and may be subject to change.
The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be the result of age, employment status, previous education achievements or location for example, and are outside the control of The College of Animal Welfare.
Formal customer service training will demonstrate to employers that you are dedicated to providing effective service in the workplace. The practical skills and abilities developed over the course of the qualification will help you stand out when applying for future jobs.
You may wish to pursue further study with us by undertaking the Level 3 Diploma in Customer Service or Advanced Apprenticeship in Customer Service. Alternatively, you may wish to study a related subject to develop different skills important in the running of a business, for instance business administration or Coaching and Mentoring.
What our students say:
“I have enjoyed learning new skills and applying some of these to my current job”
“The tutors are very helpful and supportive and provide me with regular reviews on my progress”
“The course fits around my everyday work making this easy to complete”
“The tutors are extremely helpful and always manage to find time to provide support and answer any queries”