Veterinary Care Assistant
About This Course
Why Choose this course?
The National Certificate for Veterinary Care Assistants (VCA) is a level 2 programme awarded by City & Guilds and is a nationally recognised qualification in its own right. It is aimed at those working as veterinary care assistants tasked with providing basic veterinary care to animals and looking for a qualification to improve and update their skills.
It may also be taken by those wishing to become veterinary nurses but not currently meeting the academic entry requirements to enrol as a student veterinary nurse with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).
The award is divided into three sections:
- Introduction to Common Animal Species
- Animal Handling, Restraint and Housing
- Animal Health, Hygiene and Disease Control
- Introduction to Animal Emergencies and First Aid
- Basic Veterinary Terminology
- Introduction to Veterinary Anaesthesia and Surgical Equipment
- Introduction to Veterinary Radiography
- Administration of Veterinary Medication, Basic Dispensing and Pharmacy
- Administrative Duties in the Veterinary Practice
- Health and Safety in the Veterinary Practice
- Introduction to Employment Issues in the Veterinary Practice
- Introduction to Animal Euthanasia and Bereavement
Materials are supplied in a paper based format, CD Rom and via the College’s online Virtual Learning Environment.
Assessment is via written and practical unit assignments and end of section multiple-choice on line examinations.
Progression & Employment Prospects
Successful completion of this course along with Functional Skills Level 2 in Communication and Application of Number or GCSEs A-C in English Language and Mathematics will allow students to enrol with the RCVS as a student veterinary nurse and progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing programme.