Register your details to receive updates from the School of Business and Management
- Attendance: Four study weekends at Huntingdon (March, June, September and November) plus online learning. Additional support via assessor visits to your workplace will be discussed on an individual basis.
- Duration: 24 months (20% of your time must be spent studying off the job).
- Start Date: Start at any time.
- Location: England
- Non-apprenticeship Level 5 Leadership and Management training is also available.
Working as a manager of a department or team you will have a range of responsibilities such as managing projects, growing talent and mentoring staff members. If you have some experience of managing a team but have had any formal or theoretical training, this apprenticeship is for you!
You will build upon your current knowledge by learning a range of skills such as how to:
- Understand business development tools
- Manage change
- Motivate and improve performance
- Negotiate with stakeholders
- Manage budgets and undertake financial forecasting
Throughout this apprenticeship you will also achieve an ILM Level 5 Diploma for Managers.
This apprenticeship consists of:
- The required knowledge, skills and behaviours to effectively manage people and deliver results
- End Point Assessment to demonstrate the standard is achieved
- ILM Level 5 Diploma for Managers
- Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths and English unless exempt
It is important to note that 20% of your working time must be spent undertaking ‘off-the-job guided learning hours’. This may, for example, be by online learning, guided study or undertaking projects related to your workplace to gather evidence for your portfolio.
Knowledge and skills
You will look at:
- Operational Management
- Project Management
- Leading and managing people
- Building relationships
- Self-awareness and management
- Decision making
You will look at:
- Responsibility – managing difficult situations and seeking new opportunities
- Inclusivity – being authentic and seeking views of others
- Agility – being positive, creative and flexible to change
- Professionalism – operating within organisational values whilst being consistent and fair
End Point Assessment
Throughout your apprenticeship you will have access to online materials using our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and will complete an online portfolio. Once you and your employer agree you are ready you will undertake your End Point Assessment which will be taken by an independent assessor. This consists of the following:
- Assessment of your knowledge through a test using scenarios, questions and responses
- Assessment of your competency through competency based interview
- Assessment of your portfolio of evidence
- Presentation a on work based project with Question and Answer session
- Continuing Professional Development Log reviewed and professional discussion
For the ILM Level 5 Diploma for Managers you will be assessed using a variety of methods including written assignments, on-screen knowledge tests and development of a portfolio which will also contribute towards your End Point Assessment.
You should have 5 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above including English Language and Mathematics.
If you have a level 4 (or above) qualification you are still able to undertake this apprenticeship if your current qualification is in an unrelated subject. If your existing qualification is in a similar subject you may not be able to undertake this apprenticeship, in which case you may wish to undertake the ILM Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management.
Apprenticeship fees are payable by the employer. Prior to commencing the course an invoice will be issued for the total course fee.
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, you will be able to continue to receive support and access to your course by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification of your qualification.
The way apprenticeships are funded, and paid for, has now changed. Employers should take note of the fees that are applicable to their organisation. As an employer you will either be an Apprenticeship Levy Payer (employers with over a £3 million pay bill) or Non-Levy Payers (employers with less than a £3 million pay bill).
If you take on an apprentice under 19 years of age, you will receive a £1,000 incentive from the government towards the training fees! In addition, if your organisation has less than 50 contracted employees the course fees will be fully funded!
All fees are fully inclusive of applicable awarding organisation and End Point Assessment (EPA) fees. However, if a student needs to re-sit an exam, re-sit fees will be payable.
Course fees for Apprenticeship Levy Payers
Digital account payment – £9,000
Course fees for Non-Levy Payers
Course fees for Non-Levy Payers are paid via co-investment with the government, meaning that the government provide 90% of funding towards course fees. The remaining fees that are payable by the employer are £900 which can be paid in one of the following ways:
|£900||£300 at the start and every 12 months thereafter||£90 every three months||£30 per month|
Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of The College of Animal Welfare.
Completing this apprenticeship will provide you with the skills necessary to make effective decisions and confidently lead your team.
On completion of this apprenticeship you can register as a full member with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and/or the ILM. If you already have three years of management experience you can then also apply for Chartered Manager status through the CMI. This will provide you with on-going access to improve your skills and help you develop in your career.
As this is a new apprenticeship standard we do not have any testimonials available yet but hopefully we will have some soon!