This apprenticeship is ideal if you are looking for a City & Guilds dog grooming course where you will gain a nationally recognised qualification with significant practical experience and the underpinning knowledge to back this up.
Gaining an industry recognised dog grooming qualification will increase your job prospects and demonstrate to clients your proven abilities; providing much needed reassurance to those looking for pet grooming services.
- Attendance: Work-based learning. You will not be required to come into College; your assessment and support will be carried out in the workplace, and via email and telephone contact, with one of our work-based learning assessors.
- Duration: 14 – 16 months.
- Start date: You can start this programme at any time.
- Location: Your place of employment must be within 90 minutes of our Huntingdon (Cambridgeshire), Potters Bar (London) and Leeds (West Yorkshire) centres. If you are located outside of this area, please contact us, we may still be able to meet your training needs.
During your dog grooming training, you will look at dog grooming equipment, the grooming environment, bathing and grooming dogs and client care. You will undertake the following mandatory units:
- Maintain and develop personal performance
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Promote and maintain health and well-being of animals
- Deliver basic treatments to animals
- Select and prepare accommodation for animals
- Maintain animal accommodation
- Control and restrain animals
- Moving animals between locations
- Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- Maintain the cleanliness and bio security of the animal care working environment
You will then choose from a range of optional units such as:
- Prepare and groom dogs prior to bathing
- Dry dogs and prepare their coats for styling
- Welcome, receive and care for visitors to site
- Handle payments from clients
You will undertake level 1 Functional Skills in Maths and English (unless exempt) and complete a Lantra Employment Rights and Responsibilities Workbook, Personal Learning and Thinking Skills as well as the main Level 2 Diploma in Work-based Animal Care (Dog Grooming) programme.
You will complete a portfolio, pass work-based practical assessments and undertake a technical certificate test.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, however you should be employed in a suitable dog grooming environment in England and be earning at least the National Minimum Wage for Apprentices. To complete this apprenticeship within 14-16 months you will need to be working for a minimum of 30 hours per week, if you are working less than 30 hours a week the length of your apprenticeship will be extended depending on your working hours.
If you have a level 4 (or above) qualification, from May 2017 you are now still able to undertake this apprenticeship if your current qualification is in an unrelated subject. If your existing qualification is in a similar subject you will not be able to undertake this apprenticeship, in which case you may wish to undertake the City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate for Dog Grooming Assistants qualification.
Apprenticeship fees are payable by the employer. We offer two different payment options; our ‘Annual Fee Scheme’ or our ‘Pay as You Learn’ monthly payment scheme. Details on both of these payment options can be found here.
Sources of financial help if you require support during your studies can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
Please note that course fees listed below apply to courses starting before the 1 May 2017. Fees for courses starting on, or after, 1 May 2017 will be published in due course.
Intermediate Apprenticeship in Work-based Animal Care (Dog Grooming)
|Age at start of course||Annual Fee Scheme (?)||Pay as You Learn Scheme (?)||Awarding Body Fees**|
|16-18||No fees payable||No fees payable||No fees payable|
|19-23||£860 payable by employer||£53 per month payable by employer||£168 payable by employer|
|24+||£895 payable by employer||£56 per month payable by employer||£168 payable by employer|
|Overseas||Not available||Not available||Not available|
* Awarding Body Fees are recharged at cost and may be subject to change; these are payable in full prior to the commencement of the course and are non-refundable. The costs shown are based on the minimum number of units necessary to achieve the qualification.
These are current figures and may be subject to change.
The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be the result of age, employment status, previous education achievements or location for example, and are outside the control of The College of Animal Welfare.
On successful completion of this programme you will be awarded the City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Work-based Animal Care (Dog Grooming) qualification.
Dog groomers have never been in more demand, particularly with the increase in popularity of breeds that have extensive grooming requirements over recent years. Opportunities exist for self-employment (either working from home or via a mobile service), or through employment in an established dog grooming parlour. Dog grooming jobs also be found in existing animal organisations such as pet shops and boarding kennels.
The salary you can expect as a dog groomer varies greatly but starts from approximately £14,000+ per year for an assistant role.
You may then wish to continue studying dog grooming to the next level by undertaking a level 3 dog grooming qualification such as the City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in Introductory Dog Grooming.
Please check back soon.