Register your details to receive updates from the School of Business and Management
Awarded by the ILM, this professional qualification is ideal if you are currently working in a supervisory or middle managerial role and are looking to progress into senior management and raise your profile in your organisation.
You will develop your ability to lead, motivate and inspire people and use core management skills to achieve results through an efficient and effective team approach. This blended learning course offers a combination of online learning and study days allowing for home study with regular tutorial support and college-based lectures on key topics.
You will attend two study weekends at College (either June and November OR September and March) and therefore have the option to choose between two different sets of units depending on what you feel best suits your job role and interests.
- Attendance: Two study weekends and online learning
- Duration: 12 months
- Next course dates: (16/17 March 2019 and 7/8 September 2019) OR (8/9 June 2019 and November 2019)
- Location: Godmanchester (near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire)
Membership of the ILM
As a student undertaking this qualification you will receive free studying membership with the ILM, which gives you access to a range of invaluable tools and resources that will compliment your management training. Studying memberships lasts for the length of your programme or a minimum of six months.
Free resources include:
- Learning Zone: an online toolkit with access to hundreds of management e-learning materials
- Resource centre: browse and download thousands of management books and magazines
- Business book summaries: overviews of more than 700 top business books
- Edge online: the latest management news and exclusive articles direct to your inbox
- Networking and events: specialist management events held across the UK and Ireland
You have the choice of choosing which two study weekends you attend. However they must be six months apart to give you the required credits to achieve the qualification i.e. either March and September OR June and November. This allows you to choose the units that you think best suit your job role and interests.
Please note: Completion of two study weekends and the required assignments leads to the ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management. Completion of all four study weekends and assessments lead to the ILM Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management. You may, therefore wish to enrol directly onto the Level 5 Diploma or may decide to start with the Level 5 Certificate and top up to a diploma if desired afterwards.
Study day content (November and June)
08 & 09 June 2019
- Understanding Conflict Management in the Workplace
- Understanding Stress Management in the Workplace
- Understanding Recruitment and Selection of New Staff in the Workplace
- Understanding Health and Safety in the Workplace
- Managing Recruitment
- Managing Stress and Conflict in the Organisation
November 2019 (date TBC)
- Setting Objectives in the Workplace
- Understanding Discipline in the Workplace
- Understanding Leadership
- Planning and Allocating Work
- Developing and Leading Teams to Achieve Organisational Goals and Objectives
- Assessing Your Own Leadership Capability and Performance
Study day content (March and September)
16 & 17 March 2019
- Delegating Authority in the Workplace
- Motivating People in the Workplace
- Managing Customer Relations
07 & 08 September 2019
- Solving Problems by Making Effective Decisions
- Managing Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Managing Communication
You will complete written assignments, written questions, reflective reviews and learning logs.
There are no formal academic entry requirements to undertake this programme however you must be working in a role with significant span of control and management responsibility. If you would like to discuss whether you can meet the assessment demands please contact us.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, you will be able to continue to receive support and access to your course by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification of your award.
Course Fees – ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£1,864||£155 per month|
If you are employed in a veterinary practice you can now sign up to this course for a special price of just £1,313 (or £109 per month) plus awarding body fees and also receive a year’s free Veterinary Management Group (VMG) membership!
All 2017/18 TP Congress and Head Nurse Congress delegates can also enrol onto this course for the special price of just £1,313 plus awarding body fees.
ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management fees for Level 3 Certificate Holders
If you have undertaken the ILM Level 3 Certificate in Leadership and Management at The College of Animal Welfare you can undertake this programme at the special rates below:
* £1,295 (£108 per month), or
* £895 (£75 per month) if you are working in a veterinary practice thanks to the Veterinary Management Group (VMG) offer. You will also receive a year’s free VMG (formally VPMA) membership.
Awarding Body Fees*
ILM Fees: £135
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of The College of Animal Welfare.
This is a well-respected qualification that will be a professional addition to your CV and stand you in good stead when applying for managerial or supervisory positions. Upon completion of the Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management qualification, depending on your management experience you could become a Member (MInstLM) or Fellow Member (FInstLM) of the ILM.
This professionally recognised qualification will provide you with solid leadership and managerial skills, allowing you to make management decisions and confidently lead other staff members.
On completion of the ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management you may wish to top up your qualification to the Level 5 Diploma, or look at taking a related qualification such as coaching and mentoring.
"I have found the level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management invaluable to my role of Head Nurse. The support and encouragement offered by the staff is brilliant and the blended learning allows me to plan my studies around my work commitments. The study weekends are filled with informative and well structured sessions, Emma is an excellent lecturer, and these weekends offer a great opportunity to network with others in a similar role. I would strongly recommend this course to anyone in, or progressing to, a management role". Holly Cooper, ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership and Management