Apprenticeships – Non-Digital Account Users

If your annual pay bill is less than £3 million you will not be required to pay the new Apprenticeship Levy tax which came into effect in April 2017.

Choosing a training provider for your apprenticeship training…

From 1 May 2017, the training provider you choose for your apprenticeship training must be on the Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (RoATP). All providers on the RoATP have been through a thorough application process with the Education and Skills Funding Agency that assessed their capability to deliver high-quality apprenticeship training – not all organisations who were previously delivering apprenticeships were successful in joining the RoATP. We are delighted that The College of Animal Welfare was successful.

Take a look at the apprenticeships we offer

Paying for apprenticeship training

You will be required to make a 5% contribution towards the cost of the maximum funding availability for the particular apprenticeship – the government will pay the remaining 95% (this is called co-investment). You will also need to pay the balance of any additional training provider fees over the maximum funding available for the programme if these are applicable.


Apprenticeship ‘X’ offered by Training Provider ‘Y’
Maximum funding available: £10,000
The government contributes: £9,500
Your funding contribution £500
Additional training provider fees: £1,000
You pay (£500 + £1,000): £1,500

Key facts for Non-Digital Account employers:

  1. Your apprenticeship training will be funded via co-investment and employer contribution (meaning the government pay some and you pay some)
  2. You will need to choose apprenticeship training delivered by an approved provider – The College of Animal Welfare is such a provider.
  3. You will continue to pay your chosen training provider directly and may have the option to spread out payments over the course of the apprenticeship.

If you would like to speak to anyone regarding apprenticeship training, please contact us – we will be happy to talk you through your options.

Take a look at the apprenticeships we offer