Functional Skills are ideal if you wish to get ahead and up skill for progression in the workplace or prior to enrolling onto a higher level programme. You will learn English and communication skills required in everyday life, education and work.
- Attendance: You will not attend College for tuition, instead you will work through the course materials on your own with telephone and email support from an allocated Distance Learning Tutor. All resources, support and assessment will be provided online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). You will, however, be required to attend a City & Guilds examination centre to complete the online examination; this can be arranged near to your home where possible.
- Duration: Six months
- Start Date: You may start this programme at any time during the year.
- Location: This online distance learning programme can be studied anywhere in the UK.
This Functional Skills Maths qualification assesses three interrelated process skills:
- Understand practical problems in familiar and unfamiliar contexts and situations, some of which are non-routine
- Identify and obtain necessary information to tackle the problem.
- Select mathematics in an organised way to find solutions.
- Apply mathematics in an organised way to find solutions to straightforward practical problems for different purposes
- Use appropriate checking procedures at each stage
- Interpret and communicate solutions to practical problems, drawing simple conclusions and giving explanations
You will undertake written assessments and pass an online examination. You will be required to attend a City & Guilds examination centre to complete the online examination; this can be arranged near to your home where possible.
There are no formal academic entry requirements.
Please note that course fees listed below apply to courses starting before the 1 May 2017. Fees for courses starting on, or after, 1 May 2017 will be published in due course.
£360 or £60 per month plus £29 Awarding Body Fees.
These are current figures and may be subject to change.
We offer two different payment options; our ‘Annual Fee Scheme’ or our ‘Pay as You Learn’ monthly payment scheme. Details on both of these payment options can be found here.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page.
Before making any change in your financial undertakings it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be the result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location etc., and are outside the control of The College of Animal Welfare.
Achieving this qualification will increase your confidence and motivation. The key skills you gain will be valuable in the workplace or in any further learning.
Professionally, undertaking a qualification that demonstrates functional skills to employers can give you a competitive edge in the jobs market, opening up more opportunities for progression.
Functional Skills form a vital part of all apprenticeship frameworks in England and can, in some cases, be used to aid enrolment onto higher level programmes of study. Once you have completed this qualification you may wish to progress onto the Functional Skills Maths level 2 qualification. You may also wish to undertake a Functional Skills qualification in English.