Accredited by City & Guilds, Functional Skills are ideal if you wish to get ahead and upskill for progression in the workplace or prior to enrolling onto a higher level programme.
You will learn basic maths skills and the knowledge to confidently analyse, represent and interpret information and data; learning how to use maths to draw conclusions, give explanations and solve problems.
- Attendance: You will not attend College for tuition, instead you will work through the course materials on your own with telephone and email support from an allocated Distance Learning Tutor. All resources, support and assessment will be provided online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). You will, however, be required to attend one of The College of Animal Welfare centres to complete the online examination. It may be possible in some instances, depending on your circumstances and the availability of an external centre, to undertake the examination at an external City & Guilds exam centre. In such cases where this is possible additional exam fees may be incurred.
- Duration: Six months
- Start Date: You may start this programme at any time during the year.
- Location: This online distance learning programme can be studied anywhere in the UK.
This Functional Skills Maths qualification assesses three interrelated process skills:
- Understand practical problems in familiar and unfamiliar contexts and situations, some of which are non-routine
- Identify and obtain necessary information to tackle the problem.
- Select mathematics in an organised way to find solutions.
- Apply mathematics in an organised way to find solutions to straightforward practical problems for different purposes
- Use appropriate checking procedures at each stage
- Interpret and communicate solutions to practical problems, drawing simple conclusions and giving explanations
You will undertake written assessments and pass an online examination. You will be required to attend a City & Guilds examination centre to complete the online examination; this can be arranged near to your home where possible.
There are no formal academic entry requirements.
Please note that if you require Functional Skills in both English and Maths you will need to complete one qualification and then the other, any funding availability will be assessed for each qualification independently.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme. A CAW Loans2Learn scheme is also available, details can be found below.
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, you will be able to continue to receive support and access to your course by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification of your award.
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£724||£121 per month|
Awarding Body Fees*
City & Guilds fees: £18.50
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
The CAW Loans2Learn scheme is a personal loan that can help you to spread the cost of your course into manageable payments. The loan can be used to fully or partially cover your course fees (but does not cover any awarding body fees, such as enrolment and examination fees). More information can be found here.
Other sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change.
Achieving this qualification will increase your confidence and practical skills, which will be valuable in the workplace or further learning.
Functional Skills form a vital part of all apprenticeship frameworks in England and can, in some cases, can be used to aid enrolment onto higher level programmes of study. You may also wish to look at undertake the Functional Skills Maths level 2 qualification.
After you complete your studies with The College of Animal Welfare, you will be invited to join our alumni association, CAW Connect. CAW Connect is a social networking website and education hub which gives you the opportunity to connect with other alumni, enjoy industry discounts, make use of exclusive careers advice and resources, find new job opportunities and keep up-to-date with the latest industry news. Find out more about CAW Connect